Une maryse

I got quite a few emails regarding the word maryse. One of you even wrote a kinky poem, because – yes – Maryse, is also a French name. It involved some whipping and folding too…

So well, I’m launching yet another category: le kitchenware. This is what happens when I’ve od’ed on holidays.

A maryse, pronounced MAH-REESE, is – what chefs call – a rubber spatula. It is actually a brand, possibly registered by De Buyer, and somehow along the way we started using the name as a utensil.

There are two kinds. The red ones, which are heat-resistant. In fact, they can take heat up to 260°C. While the white ones – slightly softer and more flexible – are just made for scraping and folding cold preparations.

I love them for:
cooking crème anglaise and ice-creams
folding cream or egg whites into a mousse base*
scraping a bowl, a pan, or a plastic container

* That is when I’m not making 20L of mousse, in which case I will go with the hand-and-scraper way.


  • Magda
    September 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

    I never new Maryse was a brand!

  • christelle is flabbergasting
    September 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

    Tu sais que tu viens de faire un billet sur MON ustensile de cuisine favori? Aaaah, love et petits cœurs Fanny! (je suis d’humeur cul-cul aujourd’hui et j’ai les ongles multicolores)

  • Vegan Miam
    September 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM

    Love your drawings…did you draw them????

  • Lucia
    September 19, 2011 at 6:10 PM

    Scraping bowls with maryses is one of the best things in life. Mine is blue, by the way.

  • […] making a Chiboust, hould you use a whisk or a maryse when folding the Italian meringue into the hot crème pâtissière? In fact, how hot should the […]

  • […] you’ll deflate the batter slightly. This step, called macaronage, can be done with either a maryse or a plastic scraper. I like to use a plastic scraper and push the batter against the sides of the […]


Leave a Reply